There are all kinds of ways to make a fatty. A fatty - or Bacon Explosion - is basically:
- A basket weave of bacon.
- A layer of sausage meat.
- Stuffing - whatever you want.
- Roll it up as tight as possible and then smoke / cook until the internal temp is 165 F.
- 2lbs of thick cut bacon. Don't go cheap - get good quality thick cut bacon. It makes the weave better and helps ensure the fatty doesn't blow out or spring a leak during the cook.
- Pre-cooked boneless chicken wings - about half of a 25oz bag.
- Sausage Chub x 2 - I used Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage - seemed to go good.
- Shredded Cheese - about 1 cup.
- Franks Hot Sauce - the ONLY hot wing sauce to use!
- Dry Rub - your favorite - I use Sweet Mesquite from Costco.
Make your basket weave of bacon - here's some more specific instructions. Sprinkle a heavy amount of dry rub / seasonings for some flavor and to make sure the sausage doesn't stick to the bacon when you roll your fatty.
Empty two chubs of the sausage into a 1 gallon zip lock bag. This trick is one of the most useful tricks I have seen. You can also use 5 - 6 uncooked sausage instead of sausage chubs if they are not available. Roll the sausage flat inside the bag.
Cut the bag open on three sides and you can easily flop the flat sausage on top of the basket weave bacon.
Dice up about 1/2 of the bag of boneless hot wings.
Add in about 1 cup of shredded cheese. Pour in about 6oz of Franks Hot Sauce to act as a binding agent.
Use your fatty piston to pack the ingredients into a solid core of goodness. How do you make a fatty piston? See this post.
Extrude the stuffing log onto the layer of sausage and then pour a healthy dose of Franks Hot Sauce over the stuffing.
Add any extra spices or sauce you want to boost that flavor up!
A simple trick to make the fatty tighter or to store the fatty for cooking later is to wrap it in saran wrap. Wrapping the fatty in Saran wrap will cause the fatty to form up better and it will hold up better on the grate when you are cooking it.
Smoke on the grate at 225F or in the oven at 225F. Cook until internal temp is 165F. This typically takes about 2 hours.
Slice and serve - you can get about 7 - 10 slices out of fatty this size. One slice per person is a great appetizer or side dish serving - or just a snack. You can also slice and the half the slices too.
Serve with a little blue cheese to dip in - Sooooo good! Let's eat!