About Us

Joined by our passion for meat, beer, cards and meat, we created a compitition bbq team to partake in just that.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Grilled Zucchini

Grilled Zucchini!

I know what you are thinking - this is a Meat, Inc. blog - not a vegetable blog!  I agree but zucchinis are coming into season and occasionally I lose the battle to just put meat on the plate.  I guess the positive of this dish is if seasoned right and cooked correctly - it almost kinda seems like it could taste like meat if you were blindfolded and ear muffed in a Chef Ramsay palate challenge.





There are three basic ingredients for this super simple side dish -
I use the The Rub Co Santa Maria Style Dry Rub because it  is a simple rub consisting mostly of Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, and Salt.  There are some other ingredients too but those are the basics.  I highly recommend any of The Rub Co products!



 I cut the zucchini up two different ways - long wedges or planks.


Here you can see the long wedges.  Smaller zucchinis are perfect for long wedges and those giant zucchinis are great for planks.




I cut the zucchini wedges lengthwise and about 1" thick at the skin.




Here I've cut the zucchini into planks.  I cut the zucchini across the whole vegetable about 1" thick.


Both wedges and planks turn out great and can be used as a meat substitute if you had a vegetarian friend guest person come over to eat.





Generously coat the planks or wedges with olive oil and then give a healthy sprinkle of the Santa Maria Style Dry Rub over all both sides.









 Both planks and long wedges are basically the same way - directly on the grates.

I typically cook these on an indirect fire - either in a smoker or on the indirect side of a charcoal or gas grill.  You don't want to cook these over direct flame or they will char pretty quickly.

I try and cook these at a grate temp of about 225F - 250F for about 5 minutes per side.



Perfect with just about any kind of meat - like this smoked salmon here.  The Santa Maria Dry Rub is perfectly balanced for the vegetable and compliments just about any kind of protein.



Here it's plated up with some potato salad, fingerling potatoes and a stuffed cheese burger.



Those zucchinis aren't going to eat themselves!  Let's eat!

No comments: